I have had a number of faux marriage certificates arrive in the last few weeks from various Guild Marriage Challenges. I have provided outline details below. If a marriage has been allocated to a tree the name of the tree is provided in brackets. If you are interested in receiving a copy of any of the certificates listed below do get in touch. The details have been extracted from the parish registers held at the appropriate local record office. Thank you to Caryl Gill for the Neath marriage certificate, Des Gander and team for the Barnstaple certificates, and Steve Whitaker for the details of the marriage in the Wellington (Shropshire), Registration District.
Barnstaple Marriage Challenge
- 1876 St Mary Magdalene, Barnstaple: Charles Crouse, mariner (father’s name left blank) and Ellen Lake, widow, daughter of James Darke, lacetwister.
- 1882 Parish Church, Landkey: Edwin Cruwys, grocer, son of William Cruwys, farmer, and Sally Cawsey Webber, daughter of George Webber, retired farmer (Mariansleigh tree).
- 1902 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul, Barnstaple: Bessie Cruwys, daughter of Thomas Cruwys, shoemaker, and John Warren Kemp, warder, son of John Warren Kemp, master mariner.
- 1905 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul, Barnstaple: Kezia Cruwys, widow, daughter of Daniel Pearce, farmer, and Percy Humphreys Davy, passenger guard, son of William Davy, inspector of railways (Mariansleigh tree).
Neath Marriage Challenge
- 1886 St Clement Church, Briton Ferry: John Crews, grocer, son of John Crews, deceased, and Sarah Annetts, daughter of Henry Annetts, railway guard.
Wellington (Shropshire) Marriage Challenge 1853-1881
- 1859 All Saints Church, Wellington: Jane Cruwys, daughter of William Cruwys, dyer, and James Bishop Richards, printer, son of John Richards, sailor (Shrewsbury tree).
© Debbie Kennett 2011