Wednesday 8 November 2017

23andMe passes three million milestone

I've not been able to find any official announcement but 23andMe now state on the About Us page on their website that they have genotyped over three million customers. This figure is also cited in an article on genealogy tourism published in USA Today on 3rd November 2017.

The 23andMe database stood at two million in April 2017 when it was announced that they had received FDA approval to provide health reports for their US customers. That means they have tested one million people in the last seven months.

It was announced in October that 23andMe had "launched an advertising blitz to dramatically expand its customer base to 10 million people". How long will it be before they reach that goal?

Thanks to Ritchie Hansen for alerting me to the USA Today story in the Genetic Genealogy Tips and Techniques group on Facebook.

3 comments:

Louis Kessler said...

I'm ready to test with them ... if they'll offer a sale price to Canadians.

Debbie Kennett said...

You can now buy an ancestry-only test in Canada as you can in the UK. Hopefully there will be some sales announced either for the US Thanksgiving Holiday or for Christmas. It's a good idea to be in all the databases as you never know where you're going to get the important matches.

Unknown said...

I did my 23andme Ancestry and Health Reports and I am Still Learning! I am Amazed and Happy I contributed my saliva to science!